Snuff

imageA little anecdote. My Daddy used to take snuff – in fact he was a snuff advocate espousing it’s virtues whenever he could. He would get his snuff, via my sister, from a snuff shop in London on Old Bond Street. Snuff had a nice smell – and it made your nose itch. Daddy used to share this with me when I was about 13 years old AND also Mensforth too. A little factoid about snuff:-

 

  • My Uncle Don who worked for Parsons foo many many years told me this tale. When he was an apprentice at Parsons the shop foreman used to give every apprentice a pinch of snuff on a Friday afternoon. Uncle Don worked out that if you pinched a sixpence between finger and thumb for a few minutes that it would leave a dimple in your fingertips – hence before he went for his Friday afternoon pinch he would grip the coin, make the dimples and therefore get an extra large pinch of snuff!! – Now that is innovation!

If you recognise ANY of these two anecdotes then you may be able to deduce the identity of El Patron……..image

Comments

  1. El Patron's dad was a lovely bloke...yes I remember him giving me and the master snuff...to this day every time I use Vicks Synex nasal spray I think of him...
    He also taught me to:
    'Let the horses do the thinking'
    and to:
    'Put a bit of wood in that hole...'

    ReplyDelete
  2. El Patrons dad was my dad also, the most generous soul I have ever known, he would share with a complete stranger and fed many people his wonderful meals over the years

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant