Vulcan Bombers – Anyone Remember This?

Oh for The Cold War – what memories. I think that Newcastle International Airport was a diversion airport for Vulcan bombers when they went “technical”. From time to time there would be a roar of jet engines over the estate that literally shook the ground heralding the arrival of a Vulcan. The Vulcan would be flying low and slow into Newcastle Airport and would, be clearly visible from the ground. All the kids on the estate would be looking up oohing and aghhhhing. To my eyes it was truly a massive aircraft with that distinctive delta wings and snubbed nose. My estimation was that it was flying at about 500 feet altitude. The site of a Vulcan at this range and the sound it made has stuck in my memory ever since I first saw it all those years ago. I think I maybe saw the Vulcan fly over the estate 5 maybe 6 times in my life but each occasion was memorable, one time it flew over whilst I was in my back garden and I swear you could see the bomb doors clearly and the wheels etc.

imageThere is sadly only one Vulcan bomber still flying courtesy of a group of people that can be found at THIS website. Maybe they can arrange a flyover for Kenton Residents once again to allow them to share the thrill and awesome ground shaking bone rattling noise?

 

 


Vulcan Bone-shaker

Comments

  1. Typical - not a twitter out of any one re: Vulcan bombers. A distinct lack of marshal spirit IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will fight them...on the beaches...in the towns...in the villages...we will never surrender...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm not wrong the vulcan will be making an appearance at the Sunderland air show this year. Hopefully you'll be able to catch a glimpse of it as it will be no doubt flying up or down from the tyne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vulcan was one of the most amazing planes i've ever seen the vibration from its 4 Rolls Royce engines would make your insides vibrate shame they were grounded and the only one left will have to be grounded in a couple of years to. There's one on display at the Air craft museum near Nissan. cant believe how small the cockpit is and how limited the view from the windows are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant