Bus Stops

There are still 5 bus stops on Hazeldene Ave, the road which circumnavigates the estate...One at the old number 8 terminus at the border between Kenton Bar and Kenton down the bottom, one at Dunnykirk, one at Mallowburn Crescent shops, one up at Apperley and one up the top of Ryal Walk...This one is the one at the shops...in my day it was brown, but I think this is still the same one but now black...made of metal...now I recall back in my time only the terminus bus stop and this one at the shops were 'covered' bus shelters:the other 3 were just like posts...I presume Ryder & Yates thought there was a need for a 'covered' bus stop at Mallowburn due to the number of passengers(being there for the purpose of shopping), but why so the terminus bus stop also?...I think I am correct in this recollection... and why not the other 3?-aesthetic reasons for tenants in the nearby houses?...now there is one more new 'covered' bus shelter, at Dunnykirk...more, the metal bus shelter at the terminus has gone and has been replaced with a modern plastic see through type bus shelter identical to the new one at Dunnykirk...so why the new bus shelter at Dunnykirk and not at Apperley or up the top at Ryal?...anyone remember any interesting anecdotes re bus stops on the estate?

Comments

  1. Although were discussing bus stops, not buses today I suddenly had a childhood vision of the first number 8 buses that went round the estate-they were green and were like the London buses on 'On the Buses'(I'll get you Butler!)in that you got on/off from the back...
    Of this I am sure...anyone else remember them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I always remember the buses being yellow, even the trolley buses.

    They could well have been Routemaster types at first, Newcastle went "OMO" in the early 70s, initially with two doors, then one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75