Garages 2


I once described the garage blocks as reminding me of giant tied sholaces somewhere on the blog...here they are visible(3 blocks at Hazeldene Ave, Apperley Ave & Byrness Close) in pristine condition when the estate was first built- the beautiful like white curved symmetrical blocks...incidently the shape of the estate reminds me of the handle of a colt 45 gun pointing east...Note only the blue posh tory zone had garage blocks as only the posh had cars in those days...the green(good) zone types were all healthy pedestrians whilst the red(danger) zone types( ruffians & bounders down the bottom) all rode about on horses & carts aka Steptoe & Son but I digress... I had a look at them(the garages) recently and can tell you that they have knocked down a large percentage of the garages due to vandalism(the curved closed in bits meant that the perpetrators commiting the crime were hidden from view no doubt in the darkmans(dead of night) so they made them more open plan to combat this by tolchocking(knocking) some of them down-Hazeldene Ave now has 41(14west shoe lace, 12 middle bit, 15 east shoe lace) Apperley 25(15w, 10 mb 0 e) and Byrness 16(12w,4 mb,e 0)
Here is a photo of the middle bit at Byrness today, unused, unloved, unwanted, boarded up with metal...a sad sorry sight eh :(

Comments

  1. I always thought there was one garage per house but on reflection perhaps not. T1's were sorted of course. T2's (like Ryal) certainly had garages, perhaps all the houses did but the flats didn't? I think the Bungalows probably did, GoM will know.

    I wonder how the Council handled it, when some of the houses must have been sold previously under right to buy? (I imagine they just told the tenants they didn't get one any more, unless they paid extra).

    Where I live now on a smallish Persimmon Estate, quite a few of the neighbours use their garage for storage, even though they have cars. This does seem quite common, unless you are of a sheddy disposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shades:yes indeed the bungalows all had an allocated garage in the garage blocks...I remember many tenants who had no need for their garage(as they had no car) used to sub let their garage... they had to pay for the garage whether they wanted it or not at that time...I remember it was on the rent bill/book and I am sure it was listed separate to the house rent...-the tenant had no choice initially as I say...( I dont think the flats did(have an allocated garage)...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75