Photo Mayo - Alas No Luck

Droogs - I wrote an email to Photo Mayo after I spoke to Bob Mayo's wife on the phone - she did remember Ryder and Yates and her husband working for them.......:-

Dear Sir,

I was lucky enough to get the “right” photo Mayo first time!. I Just spoke to your wife (I think) on the phone who was kind enough to give me your email address – by the way it is not on your website!!!. I was calling to try and track down any photos you may have of the Kenton Bar Housing development that the architectural duo Gordon Ryder and Peter Yates did in the late 1960’s – I was in correspondence with Mr. Yates son Jolyon and he mentioned that his dad often used Henk Snoek or Photo Mayo to photograph his projects.

Do you still have anything in your archives? I am particularly looking for photos of the pyramid structure that was at Kenton Bar shops.


Rgds


El Patron



This is the answer I got - the search continues - I am guessing the photographer for Kenton Bar therefore MUST have been Henk Snoek.


Reply from Bob Mayo


Dear El Patron


Thanks for your e mail


Unfortunately all our files were removed when Photo Mayo went into liquidation in 1989, and although I have been able to recover part of the records and negatives, at present they are in complete disarray. However in 2006 I was in contact with Mr Rutter Carroll who recently wrote a book on the Ryder and Yates practice and was able to locate the card index file of their negatives but there was no record of us undertaking any photography on the Kenton Bar project. I also have no recollection of that particular assignment. Rutter Carroll may be able to help, his telephone no in Newcastle is xxxxxxxx (removed)

Sorry I have not been of more help.


Regards

Bob Mayo.

http://www.photomayo.com

Comments

  1. That is a shame. For the Henk Snoek collection, I suggest you email the RIBA Library Collection in the first instance-

    Photo@inst.riba.org

    They might persuade you to come in one day a week for three months though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The answer I got from the RIBA folks was a little non-committal too - "just come down to London and browse the archives...." - Like I can just pop down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is true. You'll have to send Memsforth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the master commands I will go down in August...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant