Kenton Bar Celebrities Pre-1988 - Mr. Grey from the VG

Mr. Grey truly was grey in every way - grey skin, grey hair and a gray "lab coat". The VG was a general store and post office combined and was next to North Kenton News at the small stand of shops. Not sure if there is a VG today or something else - perhaps a kind reader may tell us.

Anyway I digress. Mr. Grey was, I think, from South Yorkshire - his accent being a source of much amusement for us young folk - lots of "ee baa gum" and all that cal. His 15 minutes of fame came when his post office was robbed whilst he was being distracted by someone asking him about boiled ham or the price of peas or something. Anyway it left him a broken and suspicious man and he kind of just faded away getting greyer and greyer until he was eventually transparent and in fact disappeared completely.

Factoids about the VG:
  • My Mum used to work there part time at one point
  • I used to deposit my pocket money each week at the post office and in fact still have the savings book that has about 20 pence as a balance - maybe someday I will try and withdraw it

Comments

  1. The post office was located in the shop as well-the money Mr Grey got from running this post office was a tidy sum kept the VG open for a long while even after supermarkets like Prestos at Kingston Park shops opened(near the old Kings Court Pub, also sadly also no more)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entirely unconnected, but there was a Mr. Grey at Goldfinch Wines as well circa 1972 - 1975, my Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What really surprises me now was that Mr. Grey [VG not wine shop] was not persecuted for being a Yorkshire twat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe that it was thieving gypsy bastards that did the robbing and they got caught. GOM - maybe you can find the article in The Chronicle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. (sigh)...must I?...let me be, patrolling the lonely ramparts of castle kenton bar...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant