The 7th Picture of the 8th wonder of the world

Dear Baited Hooks,
[click on the image for a full sized preview]
here she is courtesy of Mr. Jolyon Yates This is another aerial view of Kenton Bar Estate viewed from the South West – I would guess the plane or whatever was used to take the aerial shot was somewhere over Cowgate or Blakelaw.
Points to note:-
  • At the top of the estate, near to where the “viewing” area mentioned a few posts ago would be (it is not evident in this photo so maybe this was a later addition?) by my minion Monsieur. Mensforth we can clearly see the shape of the fabled map (Sudarium of Oviedo)
  • Very few cars visible throughout the estate – this either dates the pictures to a time when the estate was sparsely populated OR in fact few people had cars – I go for the latter as the estate is clearly occupied – note the gardens and the children in the school playground
  • Dr. Raj’s surgery can be seen peeping from behind the flats near the shopping centre
  • There are 4 – yes 4!! of the pyramid concrete structures (climbing frames) clearly visible – 2 x 3 level and 2 x 2 level – see if you can spot them!!
See what else you can spot dear readers and leave a comment – I for one am intrigued by the white doors visible leading into the area underneath the pyramid from inside the confines of the primary school back entrance area. Are these doors still there and to where do they lead? Mensforth – get on it now before I replace you with Indiana Jones!!
Kenton-Aerial-1
Technorati Tags: ,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,

Comments

  1. The white doors are a bit of a letdown- they contained the school gas meter.

    I had visions of them leading to a labyrinth fit for a Pharoah but the cavity beyond was only a few feet deep.

    I think it is gone now as part of the sloping of the upper square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a wonderful wonderful find well done mein lord and master!
    a)the viewing area is there-just peaking out 1/2 way up the far right of the photo(incidently it reminds me of Thor's hammer in its arial shape-check photo 6 out to see)-so this photo is the 3rd? taken on the same day by a plane/helicoptor
    b)stone step pyramids-I can only recall 3: one on the field off hartburn walk bungalows(3 step), one on plaza next to beautiful pyramid(3 step) and the 2 step one betwixt flats bottom of ryal walk(2 step) where was/is the other one oh wise benevolent master?
    c) Massive grass space at back of(south) mallowburn split levels behind west block east facing ryal walk 3 bedroom flats/east facing electric houses: was it just left an empty canvass?did it it any 'play' apparatus on it? I can't recall...they should have put a step pyramid there...but look at she, our glorious beautiful pyramid, radiant beyond description...
    This has made my day and made me so so happy!!! :)Well done master!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd guess that this was 1969- the builders huts have gone leaving a nasty scar. The gardens of the T/1A's look only partially developed.

    Also the builders have finished the lower school and gone (spring of '69).

    Not enough detail to tell if there are boulders on the blue waterway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 4th step pyramid is on what I think is Beal Green - between the 2 "cube" blocks of flats. I don't actually recall it myself but it is there to see in the picture - plain as the nose on your face. There is also a slide.

    I "think" there may even have been a fith one somewhere at the bottom of Eland Close - I never ventured down there myself because of the ruffians lurking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shades re:I'd guess that this was 1969- the builders huts have gone leaving a nasty scar'...
    was this the 'massive grass space at back of(south) mallowburn split levels behind west block east facing ryal walk 3 bedroom flats/east facing electric houses' that I posted as a comment in this thread?...
    Is that why there was nothing here because this was where the builders huts were?...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75