eMail from Jolyon Yates - son of Peter Yates

Dear Friends - I got the following email from Mr Yates after responding to a comment by him on this esteemed blog. I asked him about the photos and also told him Mensforth was to visit the exhibition "Reinvigorating the region" this weekend.

I cannot wait to get the pictures which will be immediately posted HERE!!!

The eMail:-

Dear El Patron

I just got back from the opening - it’s a great exhibition in a terrific building

.. It’s in George Stephenson’s workshop behind the Central Station - where the first steam locomotive was developed

You’ll be disappointed to hear however that there’s no pyramid.

What a terrific fascination though !

There was a molded pyramid in front of Norgas House in Killingworth.

I’ll try to dig out some shots of Kenton at the weekend for you - there’s one or two very good early shots

Peter was indeed my father - he put a lot of heart into Kenton - I know they did really wrestle with the project at times and for various reasons - For example, it was apparently a very difficult site because of flooding. This caused huge delays over a particularly wet build period.

As a boy, we’d visit Kenton - he was very proud of it. As you may know though, any social housing is very difficult for architects - they are routinely despised for their endeavours

PY was a keen student of Le Corbusier - who you’ll know about and believe it or not, Kenton is in the blood line of some very well regarded buildings.

I met a couple this evening who I’d like to put you in touch with - the guy grew up in Killingworth and is writing a book about growing up with architecture from this period. I will find his email address for you - perhaps it’s interesting for you !?

In the meantime - please see my blog (on www.odechair.com) which has some Ryder & Yates photos on it (including a pyramid !!)


With Kind Regards

Jolyon Yates



Jolyon Yates
MA(RCA)Lon
www.jolyonyates.com
www.odechair.com

Comments

  1. I am speechless, and overwhelmed...what an honour for me, and I am sure the master to be able to post on our blog the memories and recollections from the architect's son about his memories of his father's trials and tribulations re the construction of beloved kenton Bar estate,the project of his father Peter Yates and Gorden Ryder, an estate that we grew up on with so many happy memories...
    thank you so much Mr Yates!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant