Book backing

Remember when you went to Kenton school and you were given your exercise books for each subject and had to take them home and 'back' them?...what was that about eh?...some link to the army and discipline and such like...(there was an army like ethos in secondary schools at that time, a legacy from WW2 and lots of teckas having been in the army and having had to do military service)but anyway why I ask you, why? us council type kids from Kenton Bar had no choice but to use horrible acrylic(?) ghastly wallpaper which at that horrible time(1970) was yellowwhite or brown(there were no other colours except yellowwhite or brown in the 70's-everything, cars, clothes, interior decor was all whiteyellow(due to fag smoke) or brown then, but I digress:bookbacking, what was it all about, eh? made your book all bumpy, hard to write in and bloody heavier to carry in your hava!
('Posh' type kids used brown parcel wrapping paper, bought specially from the post office...)

Comments

  1. Tramp is all i can say - even I had brown geaseproof paper - but I preferred magazine.....more later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha Ha - more now.......I started out with greasproof paper and then progressed. Two memorable occasions:-

    1. I backed my chemistry book with a picture of a bomb, like a round cannon ball with a fuse in the top....you know what I mean. Mr. Morris (died training for the Great North Run - that'll teach him to try and be fit at forty...) was not best chuffed and made me change it. Miserable Welsh git.

    2. I "found" a picture of Elizabeth Hurley in the magazine of a popular sunday newspaper, her left breast exposed. A really tiny pic.....anyway - I used the pages from the magazine to back my English book and the drew a tongue on a nearby photograph of a man reaching out towards her bared breast.....this came to the attention of the authorities and I quickly made up a lie that the tongue had been drawn by the boy sitting next to me. We were both whisked off to McGrady's office for a dressing down. I was quite convincing and licked ass, promising to never back my books with such filth again. The other chap though was less convincing, telling McGrady that I was lying (hee hee - I was!!) to get him into trouble.

    McGrady was having none of this and duly belted the totally innocent boy on both hands 6 times......

    Here endeth the lesson that corporal punishment always works - as a means to entertain the fellow pupils of the person punished. The pupil that is punished just lives in anguish, plotting revenge...............

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant escape...almost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this again - and laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant