St Cuthbert's Green




Brothers, It was with a trembling hand and a beating heart I went to St Cuthbert's Green in response to noble Saelaenx's post comment (see'A sliver of hope') and walked round the corner to viddy...the weirdest thing I ever saw! a microcosm of much of kenton bar estate built round a triangular green! Alas, there was no pyramid, but there was bungalows complete with the unique binsheds(see post 'bungalow binsheds'), electric type houses AKA Reestones place,electric houses AKA those betwixt Byrness Close split levels and Ryal Walk(think they are still Ryal Walk) and an odd hybrid of the split level and housing on posh leeches estate(alas, no photo upped as the natives didnt seem to friendly by the time I took photo 3...)...the one weird, totally weird thing was the roofs on the houses! it looked so odd, and I can see why Saelaenix described this as 'vandalism' in his comment...Do you think then the roofs were added later on and initially the houses were identical to Kenton Bar?..they seem to overhang slightly, but Im no artictect...anyway, here are 3 photos I took...the bungalows have flat roof-spot the binshed...the electric type houses have the weird roof thing going on...what a find! Go and visit this place if you get a chance...well done Saelaenx!
(PS:appy polly loggy for the sun factor...)

Comments

  1. Monsieur Bosnian, I admire your enthusiasm, thank thou :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are abominations - bastardisations of the true architectural beauty of the Kenton Bar stylee - noticably recognisable but saddled with those ghastly pitched roofs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fear I must agree with the master: the roof cancer is abominable, dark and disturbing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bizarrely enough, I saw these being built as I went to Stocksfield Avenue School right next door to it. Not that I paid much attention though, as I didn't go home that way, I went up onto the West Road back towards the West End.

    I didn't make the connection until I looked at the photos on Jolyon's blog, the one above the split level houses shot was instantly recognisable to me.

    I vaguely do remember the pointy bits on the top, if they did add pitched roofs then they have excellent access to the loft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should correct myself- as I was only 5 in 1963 I probably wasn't aware of them being built as such, but I can remember walking that way with my Gran and there were shops beyond that we used to go to for ice pops when I was 8 or 9. The semi-circular archway is very distinctive and was still there a couple of years back. (The 15th photo in the link above)

    So what happened to the view out of the window in bedroom 3 that looked out onto the flat roof?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant