snowball blocking of bungalow quadrangle




It is with the heavy hand on my heart that I recall another ghastly deed the ruffians, bounders and cads from down the bottom used to do during the glorious snowy winters we used to have back then, with crisp crunchy proper snow...At that time in those days on that winter notchyI was examining snow prints up on the little hill along from the step pyramid byHartburn Walk bungalows for an 'animal tracking' badge from the cub scouts(by the way I was in 9th Gosforth Cubs, based behind the Duke Of Wellington Pub...there was no cubscout pack on Kenton Bar Estate, so now do you believe me...? )Anyway, this dark snowly evening I had already spotted tracks of humans, a seagull and a dog but I digress...I suddenly noticed 2 ruffian types from down the bottom rolling 2 massive snowballs on the top of the hill...I hid behind the step pyramid and adopted the pose of a section of step pyramid, one arm vertical and one leg horizontal so they would not notice me(I had learned SAS type camouflage techniques in the cubs...)They then proceeded to roll the massive snowballs down the bank and into the entrance of the quadrange of the Hartburn Walk bungalows, blocking the exit for the tenants and creating a fire escape hazard. I was shocked by this mindless stupidity and went home in tears...here is a photo of those bungalows...notice the wooden fence across the entrance which is now common for all the quadrangles, but was not so in my day...
This act of stupidity was commonplace every winter for all quadrangles on the estate, but particularly so for the Hartburn Walk ones as there was virgin crisp snow up on the hill...how horrible!

Comments

  1. I remember rolling a lassive snowball in the yard at Kenton bar School - about 20 of us were needed to push it and we eventually rolled it into the ditch with the fence at the bottom, crushing the fence flat. One boy got his leg trapped under the fence and broken I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant