Reversible PE top

when one went up to kenton comp from kenton bar school one had to buy a reversible rugby type top, which could either be 2 black hoops and a white hoop inbetween, or, if you turned it round, one black hoop I believe...this was so you could quickly have 2 teams, say for a game of football...however, by the time one was in say year 4, age 15/16 these tops barely fitted...what did the peasants from the bottom of the estate do, buy new ones? NO!!! they just cut the arms off and wore then as sleeveless tee-shirts, coming down to their belly buttons ...they looked menacing...I remember they became quite a fashion statement then, during the punk era and the ruffians from down the bottom would wear them outside of school even when they were 18/19/20. lurking about in big gangs at the shops...how frightening...I myself always had a new top every year, raising the money by doing 'bob a job' type things which I learned in the cubs(god bless you Badon Powell...)

Comments

  1. Utter nonsense - the sports shirt was dark blue an yes it was reversable. The reverse side had a single white hoop. The "sixth form" version had a red hoop.

    Yours might have been black due to not washing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine was dark blue with a white band inside (for reversal) from 1969. I think it may have had a white collar as well.

    I don't recall any different stuff in sixth form, mind you I don't remember doing any PE in sixth form!

    I still have the prefect tie, with the thin red stripe. My Son David has a regular Kenton tie, they were selling them at last year's reunion!

    (Photo here if you are sentimental, taken in West 1 dining hall, by then cafe-fied (& now demolished))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant