The tallest tree on the estate?


I happened to notice this tree whist on top of the plateau...by the way, I've got to say a sense of melancholy and pensiveness swept over me as I stood there for the first time in 24 years...
I used to love going up there and sitting, admiring the view...but I digress: From left to right then, the tree marked by black arrow 1...where exactly is it do you think?...what type of tree is it?...Is it the tallest?...I seem to remember a massive(oak?) tree down the bottom in front of the cube flats to the east of Gunnerstone Grove...?
Black arrow 2 shows the roof of the flats which I climbed up on, one of very few people to do so, mentioned in blog post 'Types of homes'...fond memories of slim youth...

Comments

  1. I'd entirely forgotten that the Flats weren't covered in that white eggshell finish that graced many of the designs. (Not the cubes or the bungalows, of course).

    The eggshells weren't eggs, some sort of white bleached seashells. It was applied by putting wet mortar on the wall then throwing handfuls of the shell at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fascinating Shades, thank you...I'd never thought of or noticed this before...if nothing else I've learned a lot from being involved in the master's blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also- that shell stuff hurt like fuck if you were scraped across it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this site is class! the big oak is at the entrance of eland close, (where i live) was mint for a 'tarza' i'm looking at it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank thou anonymous, the master will be pleased! you are the first person to say you like the blog, and that is nice! :) Im not convinced the photo I took is of the Eland Close oak tree though!...(for god's sake does that mean I have to go back AGAIN to check?...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant