Hillsview School


As aformentioned only the peasant, ruffians and bounder type kids from gunnerston,eland and dunnykirk went to Hillsy school as we called it. Interestingly enough all the kids who went there also had nicknames with'y' on the end, for example I remember a 'Taggy, Wiggy and Hedgy' though those particular peasants lived not on Kenton Bar Estate but in Kenton. Apparently the kids could choose when to do specific subjects-they had do do so many lessons but these lessons were offered at different times each day during the week-they chose when to do them when they fancied doing them... it didnt seem to work to well-when I went to Kenton most of them ended up in GN or GS or R unt S,...(cruelly known to the other kids as 'utter dummkopf 'and 'semi dummkopf' classes)
The school was shut many moons ago. Here is a photo of the site directly across from Gunnerston Grove today(a desolate wasteland of nothingness...)

Comments

  1. I could gaze out of my bedroom window at Hillfields school, but generally chose not to!

    I've pondered the Kenton Class system before.

    When I first went, I was in 1LN, there was also a 1LS, 1LE, 1LW & 1LR. L was probably for learners and the 2nd letter denoted a compass direction. (There was also 1LR, for remainder, or rest, when the group exceeded four classes. There were alco 1C classes for CSE grade (i.e. regular kids) and the infamous 1Gn & 1GS for remedials.

    In my 2nd year I moved to 2LS because they split classes by language that year- 2LN did French, 2LS did German.

    In the 3rd year the system changed again- it was 3K, 3D, 3B, 3H then various other letters for the othyer streams that I don't recall. K was LN, D was LS, but- get this, it wasn't divisive. (Even though everyone knew what it meant).

    I lived on Eland but went to KB Primary. I came top of the class in 4th year but probably because I came from a better school beforehand rather than a sudden surge in intelligence.

    I had to do French at KBPS but still did German at Kenton (with Frau Lilburn) because you needed three years of French to carry on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The G stood for "gimp" - I have it on good authority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe 'grunt'...I recall Wiggy and another oaf nicknamed Twed joined the army...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Hillsy... I obviously got into "K" at Kenton on the sympathy vote x lol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah - Kenton School was well known for it's approach to charity cases - a certain token number of thickos were allowed into the elite classes each year - you definitely got lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. spud & topps and other ruffians who went there but dwelt on our beloved Kenton Bar Estate used to boast about how they could 'choose' their daily lessons...apparently they had a certain number of hours they had to do for each subject, and could 'choose' when they did it...I could not see how this could be so, and reckon they were talking a load of bollocks...whatever, the system didn't work, as they all ended up in GN/GS at Kenton Comp...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant