choppers


I will always associate chopper bikes with my time as a kid on Kenton Bar Estate...I remember when after one christmas I at last got one... they were brill, like no other bike before...
( Wikipedia):'The bike featured a 3-speed gear hub, selected using a frame-mounted car-like gear lever — one of its "cool" features. Other features that appealed to the youth market were the unusual frame, long padded seat with backrest, sprung suspension at the back, high-rise handlebars, 'bobbed' mudguards (fenders) and differently sized front (16") and rear (20") wheels. The rear hoop above the seat resembled a motorcycle. Even the kickstand was designed to give the stationary bicycle a lean reminiscent of a parked motorcycle. Tyres were wider than usual for the time, with a chunky tread on the rear wheel, featuring a red line around the sidewall.'
Anyone else remember the 'chopper'?

Comments

  1. They were the dogs bollocks I tell you. I used to love freewheeling all the way down from the top of Ryal Walk to the shops and stop at the pyry, gazing lovingly at her beauty...
    There were 2 brothers who were the first kids to get one who were nicknamed 'Chopper' and 'chipper' (chipper didnt get a chopper, he got a chipper which was a smaller version of the chopper for little bodlins)The bikes have long gone, but the nicknames stuck forever... incidently that reminds me I remember seeing chopper being sick out of his bedroom window onto the street below late one night. He lived in one of the split level terraces and had the long thin double bedroom facing the street. He was mortal drunk;hope his dad's reliant robin wasn't parked below! ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a chopper from Ian Park for 1/2p. I gave him 1p and told him to keep the change.
    I twisted the handlebars around and rode the bike with them back to front.
    Choppers were much better than Grifters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a chopper alternative called a "Panther" - about the same price and also from the same shop. Mine was way cooler though - the handlebars were raked backwards and could be adjusted instead of those raked forward spakka handlebars that were on the chopper. The seat was better and the gear change too - altogether a better option. Those retards that had choppers - ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chopper's sister was a lovely looker too I seem to remember..............

    ReplyDelete
  5. ye I HAD A CHOPPER, AND LIVED ON THURSTON WAY MINE WAS YELLOW. I THINK I WAS ONE OF THE ONLEY GIRLS ON THE ESTATE TO HAVE ONE ACCTUALLY IT WAS MY LITTLE BROTHER'S BUT HE WAS TO SMALL FOR IT, USED TO LOVE CRUSING AROUND ON IT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a purple chopper and called it Psalm after a horse. It was my pride and joy and I lived in Ryal Walk. I had a horn fixed on it and used to help my friend deliver the papers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. choppers first came to the estate in about 1969-70, thats when I lived there! the pyramid was still being created, it was all new and shiny and strange.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant