slats

I remember one time in the lovely snowy winters we used to have which alas we have no more,
( nor indeed do we have summer, but rather'cloudmer')-anyway i digress-I recall that during those lovely flip dark chill winters nights, (unsavoury peasant type ruffians (from the bottom end of the estate no doubt) would come up to the shops to the back of the lower flats down from the pyry...They would creep up on that back field bit and look up to the flats, searching for flats where the idiot occupier had left the 'slat bathroom window' horizontal, that is to say basically open. You could see all the silhouettes of the toiletries on the shelf...Next the horrible ruffians would make and throw snowballs through the slats, knocking all the toiletries off the shelf KATOOOOOMPHHH!!!!!
Then they would run off into the night, laughing, leaving chaos and disorder. How do I know of this deed?
Because I was always doing traffic surveys fora badge for the cub scouts. It used to upset me deeply, and I am still traumatised to this day by the actions of those beastly cads from the bottom end of the estate-shame on you!

Comments

  1. The scraggiest family I knew lived in Apperley Avenue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some naughty types also used to throw lighted bangers on or around bonny night through these self same slats - never did it myself though.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. These two types of ghastly deed can not be done no more thank goodness:they have replaced the slats with eminently sensible frosted double glazing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The slat windows were a burglar's dream as the slats could be easily opened from outside and removed from their plastic/aluminum mountings. My Dad installed bars inside the bathroom window to forestall any break in. It felt like I was living in Stalagluft 9 I can tell you.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Master, thou did'st not dwell in the flats...I thought only the flats had slats?...

    ReplyDelete
  6. NO - the bathroom and downstairs toilet at Kenton Bar Estate both had slatted windows as did the bathroom in the T1 and T1a dwellings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant