Desolation of Hartburn Walk Park


As you can see there is nowt left, except a few bumps. Having said this, I can only remember the park in its glory for the first few years of my time on the estate. I wonder why they removed it all?
Health and safety issue? there was, as I have said a roundabout, weird spinning hat thing, slide and swings. I seem to remember that the roundabout and weird spinning hat thing were removed first. Then, probably over time the rest of the park was vandalised... until it was rendered useless. I recall unsavoury peasant types used to throw the swings over and over the top bar time after time until the chain wrapped round the top bar so as to make the swings unusable. As for the slides the bounders would cover the slide bit with tar, (like that mentioned by my master used to climb the pyry) so spoiling it making it a 'stick' rather than a 'slide'...
The bungalows to the left of the photo half way along the path were two bungalows knocked into one which was a childrens home. Note the concrete 'bench' and original feature of the estate, like the step pyramids. Incidently there is another step pyramid still standing, at the bottom of Ryal Walk betwixt the blocks of flats. It is smaller than the Hartburn Walk one (photo on this blog) and is only a 1/2 step one. Also opposite the Ryal walk step Pyramid is a 'table and chair' which I had totally forgotten about-the table being a concrete cube and the 4 chairs 4 concrete cylinders.
The curved circular climbing frame which, as I have already said in this blog I smashed my teeth on when wet is gone-only a circular scar remains. Up from it towards Studdon Walk half way on Reestones Place is another 'table and chairs' still standing...

Comments

  1. Mensforth - pictures of the table and chairs and the remnant climbing frames would be appreciated instead of just harping on about them in a teasing way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is terrible - at least though the pointless bench is still there. I never saw anyone sit on that bench.

    By the way - the house that was a pub would have been on the right hand side walking straight forwards in the photo - just before the children's home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - let it fly

Popular posts from this blog

Kenton Bar Pyramid - The Icon of Kenton Bar Estate

kenton bar football team 1974-75

Kenton Triumphant